Esri, Inc., Somerville, MAEducation Coordinator - June 2020 - present
As a member of the Learn ArcGIS Team, I write tutorials and courses aimed at K-12 students and educators and administer the ArcGIS Online organizations that host short term complementary software accounts.
MOOC Program Manager July 2016 - June 2020
Managed the team behind Esri's award winning MOOC program.
ABS Consulting Group, Inc., Somerville, MA
Founder and Principal, 2000 - 2017
Provide technical and marketing services focused on GIS and related fields to software developers, publications, professional and standards organizations. All work involves clear, effective communications.
Current publication (Dec 2014-present): compile GIS Education Weekly, a curated newsletter covering topics in GIS education.
Recent long-term contract (2005-2014): served as Executive Editor of Directions Magazine; wrote feature length articles and blog posts, developed audio podcasts, participated in webinars on topics related to geospatial technology.
Penn State University
Senior Visiting Lecturer, 2008- March 2011
Developed and taught innovative online coursework in support of post baccalaureate certificate and masters degree programs in the Department of Geography. Regular use of Angel (LMS), Drupal (CMS), and Adobe Connect. Introduced department to use of The Jing Project, VoiceThread and other technologies for learning.
Marketing Manager, 1999-2000
Opened and directed US office for UK-based GIS software company.
Responsibilities within this worldwide GIS software provider included written communications (ghost wrote for the company president), live presentations (developed and hosted “in booth” presentation at COMDEX), and a variety of staff and partner education and training.
Bridgewater State College (Bridgewater, MA) and Middlesex Community College (Bedford, MA)Adjunct Instructor, 1989-1991
Taught interactive, group-focused Environmental Geography and World Regional Geography courses to recent high school graduates and returning adult students.
MS Geography, The Pennsylvania State University
BA Chemistry, The University of Chicago (also fulfilled the requirements for BA in geography)Selected MOOCs from Coursera, EdX
In the News
- Esri’s Free MOOC Program, with 150,000 Students, Sets a Reference in Corporate Education at Scale - IBL News, Jan 2020
- Why Does a Private Company Develop and Offer MOOCs? Class Central, Feb 2019
- Geohipster Interview - Geohipster, August 2014
- GPS Bites Interview - GPS Bites, 2012
- The Geospatial Revolution - content advisor and interviewee, Penn State Public Broadcasting, 2010
- VoiceThread Case Study: Geography 897G - Penn State, 2010
- Penn State Live - Probing Question: What is the geospatial revolution? - Penn State Live, Sept 2010
- Adena Schutzberg | Profiles from the Geospatial Community - GIS Lounge, Jan 2010
- Internet Users Join Search for Steve Fossett - NPR, Sept 2007
- Women In GIS: Adena Schutzberg - Directions Magazine, 2001